The Waikato is situated in the middle of the North Island and extends to the wild west coast. Predominantly a farming region it is also conveniently located with beaches, ski fields and lakes all within a couple of hours reach.The Waikato has many small farming communities which usually have their own unique attractions, notably Matamata, the home of hobbiton, the movie set for the Lord Of The Rings movies, and Waitomo, with it’s famous glow-worm caves.
- Hamilton Gardens – With 58 hectares and 18 differently themed gardens to explore you will want to set aside a few hours at least to truly appreciate this. There is a cafe, or take a picnic and find a good spot by the lake.
- Kawhia Hot Water Beach – Head to the end of Ocean Beach Road , climb over the sand dunes then keep an eye out as you walk for the hot water bubbling to the surface where you can dig your own natural spa.
- Mt. Te Aroha and Mokena Geyser – Take a walk up or around the mountain, and be sure to check out the worlds only hot soda spring geyser, located at the base of the mountain, behind the mineral spa.
- Te Waihou Walkway
- Bridal Veil Falls – approximately 15 minutes from Raglan on the Kawhia Road you will come across the Bridal Veil Falls carpark. A ten minute walk through native bush will take you to the spectacular 55 metre falls.
- Kiwiana Walk – Otorohanga, also known as the kiwiana town, has a covered walkway gallery half way along the main street showcasing some of New Zealands history and some of the things that makes New Zealander’s “Kiwis”
- Mangapohue Natural Bridge and Marakopa Falls – Located approximately 20 minutes from Waitomo towards Marakopa are these two short walks to natural marvels. Another half hour drive will take you to Marakopa beach so pack a lunch and make a day of it
- Emergency : Phone 111
- Hamilton Police: Phone (07) 858 6200
- Waikato Hospital: Phone (07)839 8899
- TravellingNZ : email@example.com